Skip to content
Football

Michael Carrick plays down Man United title challenge

Manchester United manager Michael Carrick has dismissed claims of an easy fixture start and played down talk of a Premier League title challenge.

Michael Carrick plays down Man United title challengeWajda/SOPA Images/Shutterstock

Manchester United manager Michael Carrick has dismissed suggestions that his side have been handed a soft start to the Premier League season, describing claims of a favourable fixture opening as "ridiculous".

United kick off their campaign away at Hull City on Saturday lunchtime before hosting another newly promoted side, Ipswich Town, at Old Trafford the following week. Despite facing two sides fresh from the Championship in their opening fixtures, Carrick insisted that there are no easy games in English football's top flight.

"There are no favourable starts," Carrick said. "It's an easy thing to throw out there but pretty ridiculous. It's a tough start against both teams, but we're not getting past Saturday. A newly-promoted team away from home will be a tough game."

Carrick added that preparing for newly promoted teams presents unique tactical challenges. "That is the beauty of the new season," he said. "For teams coming up into the league, there tend to be quite a few changes. That is the challenge playing against them, we are fully aware of that. Mentally and physically we have done a lot of work. We are fully aware of what's at stake and what's coming at us."

Addressing expectations for the season ahead, the former United midfielder also warned against labelling his team title contenders as they prepare to balance domestic ambitions with a return to the UEFA Champions League. Manchester United last won the Premier League title in 2013 under Sir Alex Ferguson.

"It's going to be a jump," Carrick said regarding United's return to elite European competition alongside their domestic duties. "It doesn't matter whether I say whether we can or can't - and I would never say we can't - it's about what we can do, and what we are capable of doing as a group."

Carrick has rejected claims that United have been handed an easy start to the season, saying: ‘There are no favourable starts. It’s an easy thing to throw out there but pretty ridiculous'

"The run of form we had last season gives us confidence, but we know there is a whole new step to make as a group," Carrick continued. "We have the potential to achieve things and we have to believe we can do good things."

Midfield targets and transfer activity

As Manchester United prepare for their season opener, the club remain active in the transfer market with 11 days remaining before the transfer window closes. United hope to secure a third midfield signing of the summer after submitting a £65million offer for Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Carlos Baleba.

United hope to add a third midfield signing of the summer after tabling a £65million offer for Brighton’s Carlos Baleba (right)

The pursuit of Baleba follows significant investment in United's engine room already this summer. The club have already spent £85million to bring in Brazilian midfielder Andrey Santos from Chelsea and Belgian international Youri Tielemans from Aston Villa. Beyond midfield reinforcement, United are also actively seeking to strengthen at left-back.

Carrick remained cautious about confirming specific targets but confirmed that recruitment work continues behind the scenes. "I just think we are looking to strengthen the squad, and we are working towards that," Carrick said. "We're certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it, and I think we are in a good way to doing that so far."

Rashford return and injury updates

United have also been boosted by the return of Marcus Rashford following his loan spell with Spanish giants Barcelona. The England international forward has re-joined first-team training at Carrington alongside academy graduate Kobbie Mainoo and defender Lisandro Martinez, impressing the management team with his physical condition.

"It has been pretty obvious that Marcus came back training with Kobbie and Licha that he has come back fantastically well," Carrick said. "He looks strong, sharp and ready to play football. He can play through the middle, even though it's not his No 1 position. We have forwards that give us that flexibility."

Carrick also provided positive news on several key squad members returning from injury ahead of the trip to Hull. Midfielder Mason Mount is closing in on a return after missing United's final two pre-season friendly matches against Leeds United and AC Milan due to a foot injury.

"We're managing Mason a little bit, but he is very close," Carrick explained. "He's touch and go for the weekend really and going into next week. Mason will be back very, very soon, if not immediately, so it's all good."

In addition, striker Benjamin Sesko, defender Matthijs de Ligt and new backup goalkeeper Karl Darlow have all returned to full training after missing pre-season fixtures. Darlow, who joined the club as number two goalkeeper, has completed a full week of training.

"Karl has trained this week, he is in good shape," Carrick said. "Mattha has been out for a long period of time, but he is training, and it's great to have him back. He won't be involved but he is in good shape and moving in a good direction, so that is a bonus for us. Ben is back training so that is another positive and we're looking forward to having him back around the group and getting him some minutes."

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *