Skip to content
Football

Gianni Infantino faces FIFA term challenge as COO exits

FIFA president Gianni Infantino faces formal challenges over presidential term limits as chief operating officer Kevin Lamour leaves the governing body.

Gianni Infantino faces FIFA term challenge as COO exits

Human rights organization FairSquare has asked FIFA to bar president Gianni Infantino from standing for re-election in 2027, arguing he has reached his statutory term limit. The complaint comes as global football's governing body faces escalating internal dissent and the departure of a top executive.



FIFA confirmed on August 17, 2026, that chief operating officer Kevin Lamour had left the organization following reported clashes over a proposed 20 billion dollar commercial venture. Infantino is also confronting formal opposition from major regional confederations over plans to bring private investors into international tournaments.

FIFA, headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, is the global governing body for association football. Infantino, a Swiss-Italian administrator who previously served as secretary general of European football body UEFA, assumed the FIFA presidency in 2016.

sifnos_elikoptero_hor



FairSquare challenges eligibility for 2027 election

FairSquare sent a formal letter to FIFA's Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee seeking a ruling that Infantino cannot run for the presidency for the 2027 to 2031 mandate. The human rights group stated that allowing Infantino to stand again would violate FIFA's statutes, which restrict presidents to a maximum of three terms.

The dispute centers on Infantino's initial period in office from 2016 to 2019. He was elected in 2016 following the resignation of former president Sepp Blatter to complete the remainder of Blatter's interrupted term. Upon his re-election in 2022, Infantino argued that his initial three years should not count toward the three-term limit because he was merely finishing another president's mandate.



FIFA accepted Infantino's request, officially classifying his tenure as starting with the 2019 to 2023 term, followed by his current 2023 to 2027 term. Under that official interpretation, a run in 2027 would count as only his third full term.

FairSquare director Nicholas McGeehan told Reuters that the complaint provides clear evidence of a rules violation that sets a dangerous precedent. McGeehan said that the rules clearly establish three terms as the absolute limit and that FIFA cannot bypass a rule designed to restrict presidential power.



McGeehan also questioned the transparency of the 2022 decision, noting that the governance committee never published its reasoning. He stated that announcing the decision two days before the 2022 World Cup final in Qatar suggested officials knew there was no valid basis to exclude Infantino's first term.

FairSquare drafted the complaint with assistance from Miguel Maduro, the former head of FIFA's independent Governance and Review Committee. Maduro noted that presidential term limits were a cornerstone of the governance reforms introduced in 2016 to prevent concentrations of power.



Maduro said the rule limiting any president to three terms was clear and explicit. He added that attempting to create a special exception for Infantino demonstrates both a resistance to term limits and an attitude that views rules as obstacles to be circumvented.

Growing opposition from confederations and federations

The legal challenge comes ahead of the elective FIFA Congress scheduled to take place in Morocco on March 18, where Infantino intends to seek re-election for the 2027 to 2031 term. However, political support for the FIFA president has begun to erode across several continents.



Last week, European body UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation, and CONCACAF, which governs football in North America, Central America and the Caribbean, called on Infantino to reconsider his position. The pushback followed a FIFA proposal to create a 20 billion dollar subsidiary to manage competition rights and attract private investment.

Sources familiar with the discussions said the three confederations used their joint letter to offer Infantino an opportunity to step down with dignity. On Monday, Scottish Football Association chief executive Ian Maxwell told the BBC that his federation would not support Infantino's re-election, though Infantino retains backing from African and South American confederations.



Chief operating officer Kevin Lamour exits FIFA

Adding to the turmoil, FIFA confirmed that Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour left his position on August 17, 2026. Sky News reported that Lamour's departure followed his outspoken criticism of Infantino's commercial plans to sell World Cup rights to private investors, with Lamour previously stating that FIFA staff had been deceived.



A FIFA spokesperson confirmed that the employment relationship with Lamour ended on August 17, 2026. The spokesperson stated that FIFA thanked Lamour for his two years of service and wished him success in his future endeavors.

According to Sky News, FIFA staff were notified of Lamour's departure on the evening of August 17, 2026, the same day Scotland publicly withdrew its support for Infantino's re-election campaign.



Sky News also disclosed a letter sent by FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafström to FIFA vice presidents and Council members. Grafström wrote that FIFA and Lamour had agreed to part ways after careful consideration and with high mutual respect on both a personal and professional level.

Grafström noted that Lamour had joined FIFA in November 2024 and guided the organization through a period of significant operational change, improving relations with stakeholders and executing key projects. He added that Lamour had attended every FIFA Council meeting since his appointment in 2024 and had worked closely with council members.



Grafström concluded his message by expressing gratitude for Lamour's daily dedication and contributions to FIFA. Infantino now faces combined pressure from human rights legal challenges, executive departures, and confederation resistance as global football prepares for its upcoming congress in Morocco.

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *