Skip to content
Football

Newcastle United target Man City midfielder Nico Gonzalez

Newcastle United have held exploratory talks with Manchester City to sign midfielder Nico Gonzalez following Bruno Guimaraes's departure.

Newcastle United target Man City midfielder Nico GonzalezGetty Images

Newcastle United have held exploratory talks with Manchester City over a potential transfer for 24-year-old midfielder Nico Gonzalez.

Newcastle are considering Gonzalez as one of several options to replace Bruno Guimaraes following his £75million transfer to Arsenal. The club are eager to bring in an experienced midfielder who can feature immediately in Sunday's Premier League opening fixture at home against Liverpool.

Manchester City midfielder Nico Gonzalez is keen for first-team football and Newcastle are looking at a move

Gonzalez has been open to a fresh challenge after failing to cement a regular starting place at Manchester City. The Spanish midfielder joined City from Portuguese club Porto for £50million in January 2025.

Midfield reshuffle at Manchester City

Manchester City are open to receiving similar offers for Gonzalez as manager Enzo Maresca looks to reshape his midfield. City have already sold Rodri to Barcelona for £65million and Tijjani Reijnders to Saudi Arabian club Al Qadsiah for £52million.

Maresca's side have signed Elliot Anderson and intend to keep Mateo Kovacic, but remain keen to add further quality. City are interested in signing Ayyoub Bouaddi from French club Lille and Enzo Fernandez from Chelsea.

Newcastle prepare for season opener

Newcastle manager Matthias Jaissle, who was appointed earlier this month following the exit of Eddie Howe, insisted his squad will be ready for the new campaign despite a 2-1 friendly defeat at home against German team Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.

"We're not concerned," Jaissle said when asked about facing Liverpool so quickly. "We know the reality and we'll do the best out of the reality. But it’s a huge challenge. You’re all smart enough to see that. But what we can do, it's pretty simple - we can do our best every day together with the lads we have here."

Jaissle added that Newcastle remain active in the transfer market. "The club knows exactly the needs," he said. "We stick with the plan. There will be some changes, for sure."

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *