Skip to content
Football

Xabi Alonso will not rule out Enzo Fernandez Chelsea exit

Chelsea head coach Xabi Alonso has refused to guarantee that Enzo Fernandez will stay at the club as Manchester City target the midfielder.

Xabi Alonso will not rule out Enzo Fernandez Chelsea exitDave Shopland/Shutterstock

Chelsea head coach Xabi Alonso has refused to guarantee that Enzo Fernandez will remain at the club following transfer interest from Manchester City.

Fernandez received a mixed reaction from supporters at Stamford Bridge during Chelsea's final preseason friendly against Spanish side Real Sociedad before the Premier League season starts. The 25-year-old Argentinian midfielder replaced team captain Reece James during the match and took the captain's armband, drawing both cheers and jeers from the home crowd.

Speaking on the eve of the 2026-27 season, with Chelsea preparing to travel to West London rivals Fulham on Monday, Alonso expressed support for Fernandez despite the uncertainty surrounding his future. "It's not unusual. It can happen. We support him. We have a great player with Enzo, a top player, so important," Alonso said. "I am happy that when I see him training, you see that he has a competitive mentality. We work with him every day very well."

Alonso also hinted that Fernandez would remain Chelsea's vice-captain under James, backing the midfielder to regain the full backing of the supporters. "I'm sure it will happen because this is a normal situation in football. Once we start the competition, we need the support," Alonso added. "We need the full commitment of all the team and of all the supporters when they come to Stamford Bridge. That we are pushing in the same direction."

Fernandez established himself as a prominent figure at Stamford Bridge after joining Chelsea from Benfica in January 2023 for a then-British record transfer fee of £106.8 million, shortly after winning the 2022 World Cup with Argentina.

Xabi Alonso has refused to be drawn on whether Enzo Fernandez will be a Chelsea player when the transfer window closes

Manchester City transfer interest and valuation

Manchester City's interest in Fernandez has been no secret this summer, although the Premier League champions, managed by Enzo Maresca, have yet to submit a formal offer for the midfielder. Chelsea were previously asking for £120 million for the Argentina international, but the club stated those terms expired when a deadline set for bids passed last Friday. As a result, City could face a higher asking price if they choose to make a formal approach before the transfer window closes.

Maresca, who previously worked on City's coaching staff before managing Leicester City, has been looking to bolster his midfield options ahead of the new campaign.

At his pre-match press conference ahead of Monday's fixture against Fulham, Alonso dodged answering repeated questions about whether Fernandez would remain a Chelsea player after the transfer deadline, choosing instead to focus on the player's application in training.

"Enzo is a Chelsea player," Alonso said when asked directly if Fernandez would still be at Stamford Bridge beyond deadline day. "He's a top, top player. He's training really well since he started 10 days ago with the team, very integrated. We are happy with him and he's getting ready for Monday."

Alonso added: "He's training really well. I see him with a good attitude. That's what we want. He's a player, he's training well, he's preparing for Monday and that's my concern at the moment."

Tactical role and midfield positioning

Fernandez was previously deployed as a number 10 at Chelsea, but Alonso hinted that he sees the midfielder in a deeper central role rather than competing directly with attacking playmakers Cole Palmer and Morgan Rogers.

Addressing Fernandez's versatility across the midfield, Alonso highlighted his ability to control play from various areas of the pitch. "He can do both," Alonso said. "I think when he's with the ball, he has the qualities to link the short passes but the long ones as well. He's able to see short and the farther players and from there he can progress. But he's played great as a No 10 as well."

Chelsea begin their Premier League campaign on Monday against Fulham, with Alonso expecting full focus from his squad as the transfer window enters its final stages.

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *