Skip to content
Football

Rodri completes £65.4m Barcelona move from Man City

Rodri has completed a £65.4m transfer from Manchester City to Barcelona on a deal until 2030 despite reports linking him with Real Madrid.

Rodri completes £65.4m Barcelona move from Man CityEPA

Rodri has completed a £65.4m transfer to Barcelona from Manchester City, spurning interest from Real Madrid to sign a contract until 2030.

The 30-year-old Spain midfielder was unveiled by Barcelona on Tuesday night after deciding to leave England for family reasons. Rodri had been widely expected in Spain to return to his home city of Madrid, but insisted during his presentation that Barcelona was his preferred destination.

After months of assumptions and increasingly confident reports, Rodri has chosen Barcelona instead of Real Madrid

"I’d like to say that I’m very happy to be here," Rodri said at his unveiling. "It’s a very special day, a very important new chapter in my career. Barcelona is a fantastic club, a global benchmark for its approach to football and the values it represents. I had other options, but Barcelona was my first choice, and I made that clear."

Rodri was all smiles during his unveiling as a Barcelona player on a deal to 2030 on Tuesday

Real Madrid speculation and family ties

For months, media outlets in Spain reported that Rodri was destined to join Real Madrid. Earlier this month, Spanish publication Marca ran the headline "And after Diomande… Rodri", with the author writing that there was "great optimism" at Real Madrid regarding the midfielder's arrival as part of a project led by manager Jose Mourinho. Another Spanish report stated that if Rodri left Manchester, Real Madrid was the "only possible destination for him."

A move to the Bernabeu appeared logical given that the stadium sits just 20 miles from Rodri's hometown of Villanueva de la Canada, where members of his family reside. In addition, an archival photograph showed one of his brothers wearing a Real Madrid shirt in the club's white, blue and gold colors, despite Rodri having previously played for city rivals Atletico Madrid.

Why wouldn't the World Cup-winning Spain captain, who is desperate to leave England and return home, choose the bright lights of the world's biggest club?

When asked in the past whether his history as an Atletico Madrid youth product would prevent a move to Real Madrid, Rodri remained open to the possibility. "There are other players who've taken that path," he previously said. "Not directly, but over time. You can't turn down the best clubs in the world." His response stood in contrast to Enzo Fernandez's explicit statement: "I really like Madrid."

Private lifestyle and footballing philosophy

Rodri, who turned 30 in June, maintains a strictly private lifestyle away from the pitch. He possesses no Twitter or Instagram account and avoids public social media posts regarding holidays, pets or his recovery from back surgery at the end of July.

His inner circle remains tightly guarded, limited largely to his brother's LinkedIn profile and his girlfriend Laura Iglesias's private Instagram account of 500 followers, which includes Love Island presenter Maya Jama, the former partner of Ruben Dias.

Real Madrid is fame: glitz, glamour and Galacticos of Kylian Mbappe, Jude Bellingham and Vinicius Junior - while Barcelona is pure, unadulterated football

Addressing comments from Spain team-mate Alvaro Morata, who suggested Rodri would have won the Ballon d'Or earlier with better self-marketing, Rodri explained his mindset. "But I don’t play football for that," Rodri said. "Maybe people would like me to be more marketable but I understand football differently. I know how it works so I don’t get frustrated if (I get overlooked). If one day someone wants to reward the work, that’s welcome, but it doesn’t bother me at all."

While Real Madrid represents glitz and Galacticos such as Kylian Mbappe, Jude Bellingham and Vinicius Junior, Barcelona aligned with Rodri's focus on football heritage established by figures like Johan Cruyff, Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi.

Deco intervention and transfer negotiations

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez initially harbored concerns regarding Rodri's age and transfer price. Although Rodri's performances at the World Cup convinced Perez to pursue the deal, Real Madrid's offer did not prompt Manchester City to sell immediately.

Barcelona sporting director Deco acted after learning negotiations between City and Real Madrid had slowed, particularly after deep-lying midfielder Frenkie de Jong returned injured from the World Cup. Barcelona made an initial proposal near £40m, below City's valuation, before securing the £65.4m agreement once Rodri expressed his preference for Barcelona.

Seven of Rodri's World Cup-winning team-mates, five of whom joined him in the final, are set to become his club team-mates too

At Barcelona, Rodri will operate under manager Hansi Flick in a tactical setup built around positional play and tempo control. He reunites with seven of his World Cup-winning Spain team-mates, five of whom played alongside him in the World Cup final. Former Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, who departed the English club last summer, had also spoken to Rodri previously about Barcelona.

Manchester City departure and squad impact

Manchester City accepted the £65.4m fee for the 30-year-old following a strong World Cup performance that followed a challenging season in which he managed his comeback from a 2024 ACL knee injury. Across seven years at City, Rodri played 298 matches, averaging 77 minutes per game, and won four Premier League titles, three League Cups, two FA Cups, one Champions League and one FIFA Club World Cup.

Rodri won four Premier League titles, the Champions League, two FA Cups and three League Cups in a glittering spell at City under Pep Guardiola

City are seeking experienced additions to balance manager Enzo Maresca's squad following the departures of Rodri, Bernardo Silva and John Stones, even after spending around £80m to sign 18-year-old Ayyoub Bouaddi.

In a farewell message published on Manchester City's website, Rodri wrote: "I found that saying goodbye is one of the most difficult things in life, but I am going to try. I knew I came into a top team, but I never thought we could be able to create the legacy we made winning trophies, fans around the world, love and respect."

"We made an example to inspire the next generations not only because the success, also because the way we did it," Rodri continued. "And the fans were with us every step of the way. City didn’t just make me grow as a player. They made me grow as a human. I saw my brother graduating from Manchester Metropolitan University. I could see my girlfriend working for the NHS. Manchester shaped my whole life. It’s time to say goodbye, thanks to the club, the fans, the staff and my team-mates. This journey couldn’t be the same without you, my heart will always be blue."

Villarreal history and Madridista reaction

The transfer marks Barcelona's second attempt to sign Rodri. In 2018, following Rodri's first La Liga season with Villarreal, Barcelona sought him as a long-term successor to Sergio Busquets. However, Atletico Madrid re-signed their former academy player, who subsequently moved to Manchester City under Guardiola in 2019.

Following Rodri's decision to join Barcelona instead of Real Madrid, supporters of the capital club have maintained that they did not want the midfielder to sign for Real Madrid.

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *