Skip to content
Champions League

Xabi Alonso reveals plan to revive Chelsea star Cole Palmer

Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso has set out his plan to rebuild Cole Palmer's form following the midfielder's omission from England's World Cup squad.

Xabi Alonso reveals plan to revive Chelsea star Cole PalmerGetty Images

New Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso has revealed how he plans to get the best out of Cole Palmer this season ahead of the Blues' Premier League opener against Fulham on Monday, insisting that physical fitness and tactical confidence are vital to restoring the 24-year-old midfielder.

Palmer enjoyed a superb first two campaigns at Stamford Bridge following his arrival from Manchester City in September 2023, but struggled for form and fitness throughout 2025-26. That slump ultimately resulted in the attacking midfielder missing out on a place in Thomas Tuchel's England squad for the World Cup, two years after scoring for the Three Lions in the Euro 2024 final against Spain in Berlin.

After completing a full pre-season under Alonso, who took charge of the West London club following a successful managerial spell at Bayer Leverkusen, the Spaniard was asked how he intends to revive the 24-year-old during an interview with the Men in Blazers Media Network.

"First it has to be physical," Alonso said. "Because you need to feel healthy, you need to feel on your full potential 100 per cent to perform. Once you feel this healthy and fit then you need confidence. You need to feel that the system works, that you are enjoying your game and you have your responsibilities within the game."

Chelsea boss Xabi Alonso has revealed how he plans to get the best out of Cole Palmer



Building a structure around Palmer

Alonso emphasized that reviving Palmer is essential to Chelsea's ambitions as the club looks to build a more consistent side following a difficult campaign.

"But Cole is a special player," Alonso added. "If we want a great Chelsea, we need to have a great Cole. And for that we need to build a strong and stable structure to reach him in the right place in the right moments and then he will make the difference."

Speaking on his World Cup snub earlier in pre-season, Palmer admitted that he felt like he had a point to prove. The midfielder also revealed that Alonso reached out with a supportive message when news of his omission from Tuchel's squad was made public, a move that he appreciated.

Pressed further on their relationship, Alonso shared insight from his early conversations with Palmer upon arriving at the club.

Palmer struggled for form and fitness in 2025-26 as the Blues endured a difficult campaign

"(I said to him) that this is an important season for everyone," Alonso said. "And for him he can have a great impact in this great year we want to have, but mainly (I said) that he (needs to) feel confident to enjoy his game and for that we need to help him."



Overcoming injury and busy fixture list

Palmer recently revealed that he is now back to full fitness, admitting he played when he "probably shouldn't have done" as he managed a groin issue last season. The midfielder noted that seven weeks off over the summer provided vital recovery time.

"I feel good now," Palmer said. "The seven weeks obviously helped. I'm ready to go again."

Chelsea face a busy start to the 2026-27 campaign, beginning with Monday's trip to Craven Cottage to face local West London rivals Fulham. After the derby, Chelsea host Luton in the Carabao Cup second round on Thursday before entertaining Brighton on Sunday at Stamford Bridge.

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *